Sunday, April 27, 2008

Meatless Satay Sticks..


Okay, so, disclaimer: I am a lifelong vegetarian, I have never eaten meat, and never will...so I have no clue how these match up to real meat satay sticks. But I don't care, I think they taste damn good as they are, so I make them. :D


Satay Gluten Sticks

I made these ones under the grill, but they also are fantastic on the barbeque. You can serve them however you like; we usually serve them with rice and a salad, or rice and whatever veggies we have grilled.


Gluten

This is how I make my gluten. You can make it however your favorite way is.

Gluten flour

Broth (You can make whatever kind you want...this time, I used a bouillon cube, soy sauce, chopped garlic, black pepper, and bay leaves. Other times, I use mixed herbs, bouillon cubes, etc; or soy sauce and other spices; anything to make a strongly flavored broth, with salt, so the gluten doesn't end up totally tasteless.)


Bring a large pot filled 1/4 of the way with broth (you need a LOT of head space for cooking gluten...it EXPANDS!) to a boil.

Meanwhile, mix gluten flour, however much you need, with a LOT of water. Add the water all at once, and mix thoroughly, fast, so it doesn't clump up. It's better to mix too much water than not enough. Too much can be drained, or even strained, if there's that much. Too little is tough and horrible. I use like a 1:1 1/2 gluten:water ratio.

Mix the gluten til it becomes a cohesive ball. Break of 1-1.5 inch chunks off, and drop into the boiling broth. Cover, and boil for 20 minutes or so...when you pull a piece out and cut it in half, it shouldn't have the rubbery middle anymore. When cooked, drain.


Satay Sauce


1/3 cup or so peanut butter...we prefer crunchy, but you can use whichever kind you want.

1 cup or so coconut milk or cream

chopped clove of garlic

minced red chilli

sesame oil

soy sauce

sugar or sweetener of choice, enough to make the sauce nice and sweet


Mix everything together. Should be runny. Put on a burner, and heat gently til it thickens a little. You still want it to be runny, but not totally liquid.

Put drained gluten in a large bowl, pour satay sauce over, and toss, and then leave to soak for a little while.

Thread chunks onto bamboo skewers (you can add veggie chunks here, too, if you want..whatever you would put on a shishkebab), and grill or bbq. When nice and toasty on all sides, baste with sauce one more time, and put back over the heat to make it nice and bubbly and golden again. Serve!

2 comments:

corine said...

Never eaten meat? How is this possible? I can't do that. Meat is more addictive than crack. I keep swearing it off, then succumb.

Lilli in Vancouver said...

Yum yum yum! We bought a BBQ last autumn, so maybe I'll give this a try :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails