Friday, March 28, 2008

Old sheets....

I have never really jumped on the vintage sheets as yardage bandwagon, cause I hate the smell, I've never really been impressed with any of the prints I ever come across, and don't really like the worn look of them in the ones I have found.


But today as I was rummaging through three bins of new home dec offcuts at Vinnie's, there was this box of old sheets there, and I got carried away (two twin flat sheets of each style, $3 each!), and came home with a buttload of offcuts, plus six sheets, visions of projects dancing in my head.


They were just perfectly worn to perfection, the prints were nice, and well...does anyone know any tips for getting that vintage smell out?? :p

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Thanks for the sweet comments, I was so excited when you "got' what I was trying to achieve.
For the smell I usually go for a machine wash with added fabric softener and then a day out in good sun - or maybe 2 or 3 if you forget to bring it in because you are too busy sewing !

Amanda Jean said...

I've heard that Bac-Out can take out the smell. I have never used it and don't know who makes it, but it's worth checking out. I have heard a few other bloggers mention it here and there. and you know, bloggers would know their vintage linen stuff! :)

the prints of those sheets are wonderful!

Elizabeth said...

I've had good luck removing the vintage smell by adding Borax to my laundry. I've been told that soaking in vinegar water helps, but it didn't do much for me. If you normally use a gentle laundry soap, you might consider buying something more heavy-duty for this. Good luck! It took me forever to get the smell out of mine.

muralimanohar said...

Thanks for the tips, guys! So far, I have done an overnight soak in Napisan (a diaper sanitizer and whitener, for you guys outside of Australia), and three days now in the sun. They SEEM to smell fairly decent! I thought I might have detected a whiff on two of them, still, but maybe a second soak, or trying one of your other techniques, will take care of them. :) I can't wait to bust into them! :D

Marcia said...

I thrift shopped that same orange, green and brown sheet. Isn't it great. I know what you mean about that smell. Baking soda takes out odors. If all else fails soak it in a tub of water and baking soda overnight then wash as usual.

Related Posts with Thumbnails