Thursday, December 11, 2008

From scratch..


So I made a pumpkin pie. From scratch. Because I couldn't make it to the fancy import store to get the canned Libby Lee. And it was gooood. And awhile ago, too, cause I lost the pic deep in the middle of the photo folder. But it was still good. :p And yeah, my pie slicing skills leave a lot to be desired. Esp since I made it in a deep cake dish, rather than a pie dish or springform pan, like a normal person would. :p

No recipe, because I didn't use one.

If you were desperate, it would go something like this:

1/2 a packet suitable cookies for disintegrating into crumbs for the base
a couple tablespoons butter, melted

Combine crumbs and butter, press onto bottom of your pan, and put into a preheated 350F (180C) oven for ten minutes. Take out and cool.

1/2 a medium size kabocha squash (Japanese pumpkin down here), or any other equivalent winter squash...the sweeter the better

Peel, seed, and cook this down slowly over a couple hours, til disintegrated into fine mush.

Taste test, and add in enough sugar to make a sweet pie filling. The squash I used was so sweet, I used about half the amount of sugar I would normally use for a pumpkin pie..bonus. :p

Add a couple tablespoons total of whatever spices you like to add. I used a lot of cinnamon, some nutmeg, and a little ginger.

1 can evaporated milk

4 tsp cornstarch, and 4T milk

Combine everything thoroughly, pour into prepared crust, and bake for an hour or so, til the middle is set. Take out, cool, and serve with whipped cream, or icecream. Totally divine.

3 comments:

Paula Hewitt said...

i always wondered how to make pumpkin pie - every recipe ive seen uses canned pumpkin. i might even try it. thanks for the visit - you know youve been in a place too long when you start to understand the language ;)

Liesl said...

This is my kind of recipe - I love it. I am definitely going to try this out sometime soon, so thanks for sharing!

Patty said...

This sounds really good. I've made pumpkin pie with canned pumpkin but I'd like to try it with something fresh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails