Friday, May 16, 2008

Fangirly...

My mom is currently slapping her forehead, wondering where she went so wrong. My dh calls me the loser-iest loser he knows.

So. The White Stripes went and designed their own tartan, and registered it with the International Tartan Index. They made a very, very limited run. VERY limited. I am a fabriholic. It's like a red flag before a bull.

My co-loser buddy/fellow fangirl, Nic, and I, went in together, and bought some. I made hers already, because she is going to go to a Raconteurs concert, and you know, a bag made from official WS tartan is just so much cooler than a band tee. :p (For those not up with all the latest gossip, the Racs co-lead is Jack White, of the White Stripes...see, fangirl. :p )

Here 'tis:


The fabric is 100% wool, meant for a kilt, and came with those buckles for making one. We obviously don't want a kilt, so I incorporated them into the bag. Sadly, I think I installed them upside down. Whoops.

The style is very similar to the other bag I made her, but I did the pockets a little different, and I forgot to install the magnetic clasp until it was too late. :( On this one, I put a little slot zipper pocket on the inside, which came out tinier than I had planned, cause I misjudged a measurement; and then a bigger one on the back:


They aren't the most expertly done ones, but they are okay. I must say..I have no idea why I bother to buy sewing books. I couldn't find a single reasonable description of how to do those zippers in any of the books I have, I had the HARDEST time trying to figure out the instructions for the descriptions I DID find, since written directions are my achille's heel, and then I found a WAY better description, with step by step instructions and PICTURES, right over on Sew Mama Sew, thanks to Autumn!

The whole bag would have been done in ages ago, if I hadn't discovered too late that the buckles I had planned on for the strap were way smaller than I had remembered, and then when I decided to just go for it anyway, I totally miscalculated the width, and made a strap WAY too big for the buckles, but looking perfect. So I decided to just wait til I could buy the right buckles...which never happened, I gave it up, and tried to make another strap. Twice. And finally quit and just used the best one, and made it work.

So here we are. Our monument to fangirly-ness. :p

10 comments:

Sasparilla Sue said...

I happen to think it looks fabulous! even if the buckles are upside down, which I would never have noticed on my own. Way way above my skill level, so I'm a little envious.

Mrs Jelly said...

I'm with you on the zips ... very scary! I keep meaning to try out Sarah's tutorial because she makes it look really easy. It's here http://paper-and-string.blogspot.com/2007/11/zipped-purse-tutorial.html

Bonus Mom said...

It looks great! Way better than any kilt ;)

kari and kijsa said...

Great bag!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!

smiles, kari & kijsa

Infinite Cosmos said...

that is so friggin awesome!!! i have a wool red plaid purse that i made that i'm using at the moment. I love red plaid! Your purse is cooler though. love it!

Jodie said...

I am so jealous and just wasted heaps of time on that site looking for the same tartan. I love the bag and i think you have given me an idea - thanks!!!

Little Miss Flossy said...

O.M.G! That fabric is fantastic. Sophie has this idea for a pinafore-tunic thing based on a really old pattern we found and that's just the fabric she wants, a red and black tartan. Not to be found in ChCh, NZ. So I'm on the lookout for a big old dress to chop down. I think your bag is fabulous!

Tonya said...

this came out really cool looking! What a great friend/co-crazy fan you are : ) I love how you used the kilt buckles.

Patty said...

I love that bag!

Barbara said...

Love the bag! You did a great job on it. Love the way you incorporated the buckles. Zippers, buttons, shirring... there are so many things that freak me out about sewing. Mainly because I don't want to ruin expensive fabric by messing it up. So for now I keep it very simple. Until I can find someone to teach me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails